This is one of three recipes that Kevin describes as a “tailgater’s dream menu.” Other recipes included are Smokey Meatballs and White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies. He writes that the following recipe for Black Bean Pizza is a vegetarian recipe but will please any meat lover as well.
Ingredients for crust:
2¾-3¼ cups flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 Cup warm water
2 Tbl. Olive oil
1 Tbl. Sugar
1-2 Tbl. Salt
Instructions for crust (makes 2 pizza crusts):
- In a large bowl, combine 1¼ cup of flour, yeast, salt and sugar.
- Add water and oil and beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Beat on high speed 3 minutes, continue to scrape bowl.
- Using a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead in enough remaining flour to make moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic.
- Spray bowl with cooking spray and return dough to bowl. Let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Punch down and divide in half and shape for pizza crust.
If you like thin crust, cook immediately after adding toppings. If you like thicker crust, let dough rise again for 30 minutes before adding ingredients.
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbl. Olive oil
½ Cup zucchini, chopped
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
1-1½ Cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
Instructions for pizza:
- Press dough into a greased baking pan.
- Bake at 425 for 4-6 minutes or until crust begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the onion and garlic with the oil until tender.
- Add zucchini; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add beans and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Boil uncovered for 2 minutes. Drain any excess liquid if necessary.
- Sprinkle 2/3 cup cheese over hot crust, top with bean mixture and then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until crust is browned on bottom and cheese is melted.